09/26/2017: Equifax Breach
It has been recently reported that Equifax, one of the core credit agencies in the United States, experienced a data breach. Between May 2017 and July 2017, cyber criminals accessed data within Equifax systems and obtained information from over 143 million U.S. consumers.
While this breach is not related to Hickory Point Bank, it may affect some of our customers. We care about our customers’ safety and want to ensure you are aware of the cyber security attack and also provide tips to help you take the appropriate actions.
Things you can do:
• Call Equifax at 866.447.7559 to determine if your data was compromised and what options they may provide to protect your information.
• HPB recommends that you closely monitor your banking statements and online banking accounts for fraudulent transactions.
• Consider changing your passwords for your online account access.
• Be cautious of phishing scams. The criminals may have access to your information and will use that to bait you into a potential breach.
• Do not give out personal information including your account numbers and personal identification numbers (PINs). Remember, Hickory Point Bank will never contact you and request your personal information.
• Continue to follow our cyber security tips as outlined at the bottom of this page.
As additional information, we encourage you to review tips offered by the Illinois Bankers Association to assist in protecting your personal information. A link directing you to the news page of their website follows.